Wednesday 9 April 2014

Review: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette

The Naked Basics palette is by far my most-used out of three palettes by Urban Decay that I own, so much so that I can imagine that one day I may even need to purchase another one(very rare when you own as many eyeshadows as me)! This little wonder is perfect for everyday, quick makeup and it is ideal for travelling.





In contrast with most people, I actually find that the other Urban Decay Naked palettes (I own 1 and 3 currently) can be too bold for everyday. They are lovely, but when you don't want glitter or smoky eyes in the daytime, they tend to be a bit over-the-top, at least for me.

The formulation is soft and easy to blend, which is a must with matte eyeshadows. five out of the six shades are matte, with the first shade, Venus, being a demi-matte highlighter shade. Here are my thoughts on the colours individually:

Venus (shimmery, creamy white): a great highlight shade to use under the brow bone. It is subtle enough to be worn in the daytime and blends very well.

Foxy (a yellow-toned beige): this tones down and disguises discoloured eyelids to give a smooth base shade. I usually wear this or W.O.S as an all-over lid colour and blend in a slightly darker shade like Naked 2 or Faint into the crease. 


Walk of Shame (light pink-beige): definitely one of my favourite and most-used base shades (see the dip in the photo below). It works so well if you have fair, cool-toned skin, and (unlike some of the lighter shades in the Naked 3 palette, it is not too starkly pink on pale skin.


Naked 2 (soft taupe): this can be used all over the lid for a subtle look. It is more grey-toned and less warm than the shade Naked from the Naked 1 palette and this works perfectly to blend harsh lines in smoky eye looks.


Faint (medium brown): this is slighter warmer in tone and darker than Naked 2, so can be used to deepen the crease colour. It is good to use as a lower lash liner with a pencil brush to add definition.


Crave (black): this shade completes the palette and can be used to turn day looks into night. It has fantastic pigmentation and makes a great eyeliner. 
Left to right: Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, Crave

 Overall, I would recommend this palette over and above the other Naked palettes, purely because it suits my needs so well on a day to day basis. If you are just getting into makeup, it would be a great investment and the quality makes it worth every penny.

No comments :

Post a Comment